Our baby is growing up

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our little boy is growing up....

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Our princess is growing up....

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, April 2, 2012

A more recent Hannah update

Hannah is doing much better. One month ago today we removed the NG tube. She was eating better and we wanted to see if her appetite would increase without the formula feedings. It was a success! She isn't eating and drinking as much as she used to, but it is enough to not need the tube back in her nose. Such a relief! That thing was a hassle. It would constantly leak and I do not miss waking up in a pool of formula on the bed.

She is making big improvements physically too. She can now crawl which has helped her to not become as frustrated through out the day. She can sit up on her own and play with her little brother. And by play I mean steal toys from him, but that's beyond the point. Last week she started to be able to pull herself up to standing with the help of furniture, which is a great milestone for her. She has therapy 3 times a week. Each week the therapists are impressed with her progress. It is reassuring to hear that other people see improvements in her as well.

Her ability to communicate is improving too. I can understand her most of the time and she is speaking more frequently. Her favorite thing to do these days is to read or be read to. When she was really sick she couldn't do much so we would read to her. Most of our day is spent reading the same books over and over, but luckily she has the books memorized so sometimes we get away with asking her to read to us. She is sleeping much better too. She sleeps in bed with us, our next goal is to get her back in her own bed.

Overall things are going well. She is happier, so we are happier.

Hanging out with her best bud Jack
This was hilarious. I put Liam down and when I came back downstairs I stumbled upon this Kodak moment. Jake and Hannah were both asleep, in pretty much the exact same position. One arm up over the head, one leg on the couch, the other leg hanging off the couch, mouth partially open. I love everything about this picture.

Hannah wearing a new dress that Grandma Geri got her. She looked beautiful in it.

9 comments:

Becca Bingham said...

Thanks for the update. I did not realize how much of a process the recovery was physically. Glad to hear things are going well and progressing.

Karon said...

Oh Gretchen, I am so sorry your family has been through so much! We will pray for Hannah's continued recovery and for all of you. You are so strong.

melissa h said...

Oh Gretchen, I'm so sorry that sounds like the scariest last few months, my heart goes out to all of you, I'm glad hannah is home and on the mends, it sounds like she's making great gains in and out of therapy and hitting all the right milestones on here long road to recovery, let me know if you need anything, I know nicks brother lives up there he's an m.d. In physical rehab at good Samaritan. Hang in there! Love you Gretchen!

Heather Gray said...

Gretchen, we were so worried about little Hannah when we read your last post and so relieved that she is now making so many improvements. We can't imagine what you all have been through over the last few months and will keep you in our prayers for Hannah to make a full recovery.

LV said...

Gretchen,
We sure love you guys and are praying for little Hannah. You are such a good strong woman. Talk about a full plate!
So, tonight during dinner I said, "Holy Hannah," about something to which Samuel said, "like little Hannah needs to get better?" Good to know she is doing better.

Lyndi

Annalisa said...

I was wondering how Hannah was doing. I hadn't heard much after those first intense weeks. We waited anxiously every day for my dad to pass along updates from Jake's mom. She was and will continue to be in our prayers and fasting. Such a miracle. What an amazing little girl, and what amazing parents!

Michelle M said...

Hi Gretchen. I'm sitting here crying reading your blog!! I've been out of the blogging world for over a year, and I'm just getting back into it. I'm so sad to hear what your family has gone through recently- poor little Hannah. I kept thinking about how my daughter would handle that situation, and I feel the same way that you do- I would take all of her burdens on me if I could!! I'm glad to hear she is making progress. I don't know if I completely understand, but it sounds like she has to re-learn just about everything physical. What about mental? Has she lost things that she's previously learned, or was it just a physical impairment? How awful. I will be praying for you guys. Update whenever you can!!!

Pixie Moongazer said...

Just had a read through your blog, you've all been through so much. I completely understand the feeling that you wish for all those everyday annoyances to be all you have to worry about.
Blessings to Hannah and all of you, I hope things continue to get better.

qifei2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.