Our baby is growing up

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our little boy is growing up....

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Our princess is growing up....

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Come what may, and love it"

Remember how yesterday was mine and Jake's Anniversary? Well, it kinda didn't turn out as planned. I shall give you 2 scenarios, and you take a guess which one really happened...

Scenario 1: Jake comes home from work at his usual time. He bring's home hand picked flower's and a sweet card. We BBQ steak, chicken, and veggies and eat in the backyard. We watch Hannah play in the sprinkler's and then go out for ice cream. After ice cream I take Jake to Lowe's (because he loves that store and we never go). When at Lowe's I surprise him by letting him pick out whatever wood and supplies he need's to build us something for our home (because he has always wanted to).

Scenario 2: Jake comes home from work at 4:30 sick and in pain. I give him time to rest and get him things he need's. He wasn't able to move from the couch until late in the evening. Hannah is out of sight for a few minutes and when she return's she hand's her dad a big wad of wet tissue. I go to the bathroom only to find the trash bin empty and the toilet bowl full to the rim with soiled soaking tissue. I put my gloves on and spend the evening picking out trash from the toilet, washing off the floor, and scrubbing down our little girl. Hannah and I walk to the store and on our way home stop for a snow cone which end's up spilling on my cell phone and damages it. Jake and I have a hard time falling asleep and don't get to sleep until the wee hours of the morning.

Which one did you pick?

Answer: Scenario 2

Needless to say it wasn't a great day. The day I pictured didn't happen. The celebration I hoped for turned into a normal day in the life of a young family. Jake is feeling much better today and I have managed to keep Hannah occupied so that another "incident" hasn't taken place. Yay.

As the day unfolded there were times I wanted to cry...I know pity poor me. But I realized how much I have to be greatful for. And if yesterday was the worst day ever, I still have it pretty good. There are mom's out there who go without eating to make sure their children have enough to eat, or husband's who go to war and have to leave their families, or homes where abuse and neglect take place, the list goes on and on...I have a lot to be thankful for.

I was talking to my mom on the phone yesterday about all that was happening and she pointed out that she was glad I was laughing. Laughing is so much easier than crying. If you want to read a great talk on overcoming adversity go here and read Elder Wirthlin's talk titled "Come What May, and Love it". It is a talk that has stuck with me over the year's. I am so thankful to be a member of this church and to have modern day revelation that seem's to be instructions directed right at me.

4 comments:

Leslee said...

Wow what a day! I am sorry it didn't go as planned and hope Jake starts feeling better. Atleast you have a good attitude:)

Anonymous said...

True love means service, especially in times of adversity. I have never felt more love towards a child, husband or member of my church ward than while providing service. Yesterday, as always, was an example and lesson from heaven. Love, mamas

Michelle M said...

I agree with the above comment that you feel love stronger when you're serving someone. I'm always overwhelmed with care for a person when I'm serving him/her. You are truly blessed with your wonderful family.

BUT NEXT TIME... for our sake... take a picture of Hannah's terrible potty mess!!!

Gretchen said...

Thanks everyone! And you two are right, love definitely grow's with service. Sorry I didn't take a picture of it Michelle!! After I cleaned it up Jake asked if I took a picture and I honestly didn't think of it. While cleaning it I didn't really want to remember it, and I didn't think people wanted to see a photo of the toilety mess, haha. But I should have :-)