Our baby is growing up

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our little boy is growing up....

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Our princess is growing up....

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, January 24, 2011

Dilemma

Hello friends. I am in a bit of a pickle.


So let's just imagine that you and your husband have a name picked out for your soon to be born son. Now let's also imagine that one of your best friend's is also expecting a boy just a week or so before you are. You discuss names with this friend but not the one you have picked out. So that friend of yours has her baby and guess what? She names him the same name you and your husband were planning on using.

Now what do you do? You live in different states and won't see this friend very often. At most once a year unless you somehow end up living in the same state year's down the road. So do you name your son as planned? Or do you forfeit the name?

Advice, please.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Yikes! That is a dilemma. I would say that if you guys had a close second choice, reconsider that. But if the name you chose is the only name you could agree on or if you are already attached to the name and calling the baby that name, go ahead and use it, especially this late in the game. If you had found out a few months ago, it would have been a lot easier to choose a different name, but less than 2 weeks is not very long. Can't wait to see that baby boy (and find out his name)!

Chrissi said...

Stick with your name, no question.

Justin said...

Let me remind you that I was supposed to have been named Jared...

Leslee said...

No keep the name! Deciding on a name is so hard and if you both love it you should keep it. I know if I was in a similar situation I wouldn't mind if someone chose the same name as my child. I can't wait to hear the name and see this cute little boy!!

Brittany said...

Keep the name. Similar situation with us and Ashlynn. My step sister named her baby girl that and she had hers about 6 months before I did, I debated about switching it but in the end loved it too much. We have 3 Ashlynn's in our family on my side, and it's a total non-issue. I'm so glad we didn't switch ,but just to set the record straight I came up with the name first :-)

Valerie said...

Keep the name, for sure. If you don't you'll probably regret choosing something else.

Holly said...

people don't own names ;) It might be different if said person was your sister. But I'm sure your friend would understand and possibly do the same if she were in your position. stick with it--as long as that is the only reason for not using that name.

Heather Gray said...

Definitely keep it! You don't live near each other, so it's fine. I understand your dilemma though. We had Piper's name picked out for years before we had her. Before we even got pregnant, a baby was blessed in our ward and her name was Piper. I was devastated! I actually made it a point not to become friendly with the mother because I was NOT going to give up the name. If I was actually friends with the woman, I don't really know what I would have done.

Side note: This family moved out of our ward just after Piper was born and I was secretly SO happy. I know that makes me sound kinda petty, but I just didn't want to share names.

Nika said...

Keep the name for sure!

Aja said...

Keep the name you love. This always happens once you name something. This is not the same, but I spent several weeks planning my new puppies name. I thought Oliver was a perfect, uncommon name. As soon as I brought him home, it seemed that everybody's dog was named Oliver. Oh well!

http://AMBforchrist.blogspot.com said...

Use the name that you planed and love.There's a lot of babies with the same name.